Monday, August 9, 2010

Antique boat hatch door. A tough restoration ahead.

When my DB (dearly beloved) mentioned an old boat hatch table was available of course, I said absolutely yes, sight unseen. " It's in rough shape." he said. For you, it will be a piece of cake.  I'm not worried."
I replied.

Ut, oh!


There it laid on the ground partially propped up by one of it's former legs
and the rest covered in leaves and dirt.  
The photo above is after the dirt was cleaned off.

  
 Since we had already committed to take it, it would be 
ungracious to not haul it away.
We learned it was sitting outside for about three years.

Are you still sure you want it?
Feeling confident in my sweetie's skills.  
Maybe, too confident.

 Sure!


I think it was partly due to my not wanting to see a slice of
nautical history left out in the elements another day until
it simply rotted away....eventually.

The old varnish is about 1/8" thick at least 
and is likely the reason it hadn't yet.


Did I mention it weighs a ton?
I think it would make a neat dining table. I'm not sure our old house can handle the weight in the dining room
 Maybe the kitchen, that part is on a slab foundation.


If we had a  mansion, a coffee table for sure.
(It  measures 29" x 59")

No clue when it will get done but, I'll keep you posted
should there be any progress.  


24 comments:

Unknown said...

that would make an awesome table......can't wait to see what you do with it...

Leo said...

Very interesting. Looking forward to see what you do with it!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Well i am sure you will make something spectacular.. maybe an outdoor table? Lovely that Hubby knows you so well...

Have a fab week xxx Julie

La Dolfina said...

OMG I just saw one in perfect shape in our local Salvation Army!! My Mom was with me and I pointed it out to her smiling because we had the exact same one in our family room growing up!!!
Should I go get it?
It reminds me of the 70's :)

Lady Grey said...

my oh my you are ambitious! But I have complete faith in you... do keep us posted!
oxo

Privet and Holly said...

Wow, THAT is
super cool and
I'm bet your hubby
is right ~ if anyone
can turn this into
something great, it's
YOU! Love to see how
it turns out!
xx Suzanne

Loppe said...

Simply cant´t stop smiling..

I would SO have loved to see your face when you saw 'the big treasure' that you so willingly accepted..
He he

I send you my best wishes and supports - and look forward to see more pics of your ( coffee-table?) project!

Loppe

Loppe said...

ps
Would it be okay if I link to your blog ?
I think it is rather GREAT!

Feel free to say NO, and I´ll remove it immediately!

Loppe

Salt Water Taffy said...

I'm new to your blog and will be checking back to see how your project is progressing! Best of luck!

Burlap Luxe said...

Rita my dear,
I say go for it!!! You know I would!
I love your inspiration for it, and its rustic look is in its best form. Im telling you I cannot wait to see the out come of it. I also love that you showed us your great find, even if you have no idea what it will become at this point.

Thank you for sharing your boat treasure.
xx
Dore

Marie said...

Well, to tell you the truth, I would have picked that up too! Can't wait to see what kind of transformation you do with it.
-marie

annechovie said...

I'm sure you will put it to stylish use, Rita! xx

savvycityfarmer said...

there you go again, unearthing wonderful junk!!

Anonymous said...

Like the others, I will wait anxiously to find out what you did with it! It's awesome!

rjerdee said...

Wow! cool project...one I wouldn't mind taking on...so much historical context is inviting.

WhiteWhispers2u said...

Awesome Treasure! It looks like it still has some life left in it that's for sure.Best of Luck! Will be watching.~Cheers Kim

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Most definitely a cool find, despite being quite a piece of work.

HRH Sarah said...

so cool- and totally the kind of muddle i get into, myself! Looking forward to seeing it pop up on the blog sometime in the future in its refurbished glory...

Simple Daisy said...

I would see an outdoor table in my future!!!
Love it!!
Can't wait to see what you decide:)

Heaven's Walk said...

Ohhhhh! THIS is going to be interesting!!! :)

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I think this will be a great table, too~ I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning, Rita!Thank you for coming to visit with me to have a Creamsicle moment! And your project here is a courageous attempt! I never would have thought of taking this piece and doing something with it, but I am sure that your DB is going to make something wonderful. I am anxious to see what happens to it! Thanks so much for stopping by! Anita

Tootie said...

Ooh please don't give up on the door. I love it! A table is a wonderful idea. Years ago, I used an old door to make a headboard for a bed.

Antique Shows said...

That would make a fabulous table, and what a conversation piece it would be.. Awesome!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.