I had a few different names in mind for jewelry line. I didn't want to pigeon hole myself if I decided to add different products all together in the future. Blue Sail Studios was in the top three but, not my favorite. It was the name that came out on top of the opinion poll of trusted friends.
Simple starfish pendant. Currently this has a piece of blue ribbon.
The difference between "fine" silver and "sterling" silver is that fine silver is 99.9% pure silver. Sterling is 92.5% silver with the remaining 7.5% being composed of other metals. They may look the same, but fine silver is more "pure" and is, therefore, more costly and often considered more desirable than sterling silver.
Individually crafted by hand means even similar looking pieces are not exactly alike.
Urchin pendant with CZ on 2mm black leather cord.
Unlike mass produced pieces these take time to craft. For example on the pendants below the bezels for the stones are hand formed. I think it's time for a big magnifier for those fine details.
I made the larger, heavier urchin pendant for my Mother.
Hope she will like it.
After refining, firing, scrubbing clean and tumbled for hours the piece receives a patina if desired.The part I like the least is the removing the patina solution to show the highlights. It is so tedious.
I was given this small piece of pottery.
It looks like Delft. I am not sure.what it is.
I am pretty proud of this one.
Pottery and glass requires being fired in the kiln to test it first. No sense in setting in the silver to have it shatter or in some cases completely change color or both. I wanted to use some sea glass and the test firing completely changed the color of the glass. A light aqua turned an icky yellow brown. Blue turned rust. Pretty pale gray veins in aqua pottery just went poof, gone! There went the designs I had planned.
Old world cross earrings with a light rust patina
like they were pulled from a ship's treasure.
Small scallop shells the wears the scars of the sea
hidden back bale.
Some of my pieces are fired twice. I wasn't sure if the shell pendant would have a jump ring or hidden bale. I prefer the hidden bale even though it is more work.
Ocean waves pendant with hidden rope style handmade bale.
Black leather 2mm cord.
I craft with more of an organic, rustic look overall. I think it lends character and gives each piece it's own hand crafted just for you styling.
Seahorse pendant with background waves and
hidden bale. Currently this is on a 18" 1.8 mm Rollo style chain.
I think it looks okay but a slightly finer chain may
be a better choice.
Art Nouveau style shell pendant.
I thought I would make something for myself.
I do not know what I was thinking it is pretty hefty.
There you have it. Should I keep making more?
What do you like or don't like?
Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
P.S. I am looking for a graphic artist to design the logo I have in mind.