Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sold! A piece of yacht club history.

Elusive, exclusive the Bay Head Yacht Club has been in existence since 1888.  It sits at the northern end of the bay where both Olympic and world sailing champions have competed.

from the clubs webpage

For as long as I can recall I have been in love with club's burgee.

Just a short walk from my office it is a lovely old place.

When the opportunity arose to attend an estate auction of
the Hubert Johnson family who was a well known boat
builder how could I resist.

Up on the block, coveted slices of the Bay Head Yacht Club.
From glassware engraved with the club's burgee that had
likely never left it's boxes in decades. To racing trophies of sterling
and silver plate in the form cups, bowls plates, trays, and loving cups.



It was originally thought and believed with some conviction
that the family would "donate" these items to the yacht club which
happens to be right next door.  When it was learned this was not
the case long standing members turned out to purchase the items
for their beloved club to be preserved for future generations.

I, for one, likely made the "acceptable" to win list only because
I was known by some who could forgive my winning 
although I wasn't a member.

My heart was set on an early 1900's beauty but it
was not to be. When this one came up without the date
it was mentioned it was from the same era.


I never put my number down. I think my final competitor
realized I wouldn't. 
When the cup was delivered I said
I finally won a trophy which caused an uproar of laughter.
The couple behind me said we have never seen
someone so happy.

It's a gift for my dearly beloved aka DB.


I think he is going to love it. Don't you?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is just too cool! Does that make you a trophy wife??

Melissah from Coastal Style said...

That looks like a real treasure!
x
Melissah

Karena said...

Yay Congratulations. What a joy, he will be thrilled!!

Oh I have a Designer Pillows Giveaway, I hope you will join!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

annechovie said...

That is gorgeous! Love it - congrats. Hope your week is terrific! xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

OH, isn't that just gorgeous!!! AND THANK YOU for visiting me dear and wishing me well on my shop! I feel strange opening it up...I have never done anything like this, but I suppose like anything else, I will get the hang of it! ENJOY THE NEW WEEK! Anita

Anonymous said...

You did good! It's a beauty. Around here the lovely old old trophies sell for a lot.

Unknown said...

so cool!

beachside cottage Linda said...

Delightful story and your beloved should enjoy for years to come!

Enjoy -
Linda
beachside cottage

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.